Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Jordan - Grands Vin de Jordan - Machareus Region, Madaba, Chardonnay & Sauvignon Blanc 2003

Name: Grandes vins de Jordanie
Country: Jordan – Machareus region, Zumot Vineyard of Madaba
Notes: A jordan wine which is situated on one of the best lands in this area.
Grape(s): Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc
Vintage: 2003
Colour: Light golden lemon colour
Smell: A light earthy aroma which is a strong indication of the chardonnay grape in this blend. The scent is not very pronounced. You do really have to sniff this drink to pull in the aromas. I was expecting more heavier aromas given that it was 5 years old
Taste: An off dry mild grapefruit flavour, light in intensity – The length of the drink was also quite short. A nice taste which was quite distinct from its aromas.
Conclusion: This was a acceptable wine.
WINEDEX: 7 out of 10
Final comments: This was my first Jordanian wine I had ever tried. My initial thoughts were that this was going to taste vile. Jordan is not exactly famed for wine. However, I have to say that I was quietly impressed. Given that it was already 5 years old I was expecting stronger more intense flavours but not at all it had a short length and really tasted like it was only a few years old…if that. It held all the characteristics of a chardonnay and a sauvignon blanc. It was unpleasant at all and really held its own. I would buy this again and I would serve this up to folk at a dinner party because of its blend it would smell and taste great for both Chardonnay and Sauvignon blanc drinkers. I saw on the Zumot website that they have a red which is a blend of pinot noir and Cabernet sauvignon so I look forward to drinking that one
.

No comments: