Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Uruguay, Ariano, Merlot, 2005

Name: Ariano
Country: Uruguay, Canelones Province

Grape(s): Merlot
Vintage: 2005
Colour: Crimson /ruby colour on the light side of these colours
Smell: Very berry aromas which were quite light. It smelled very clean and had fresh crisp finish.
Taste: Dry, low acidity, low tannin with a light body to it. Flavours were more on the vegetable flavour and oaky touches. Mummy mentioned that for her they had a buttery/creamy finish.
Conclusion: An good wine
WINEDEX: 7 out of 10 for Muscat grape but 8 out of 10 for Uruguay
Final comments: This was my first Uruguayan Red and I have to say I was impressed. This was a light bodied merlot which would be great drunk on its own or with a poultry dish. The label advises that it has a more herby scent so we pulled out some sage, thyme and mint to bring back those smells but to be honest my nose picked up the fruity berry area. Again as a Uruguayan wine I was impressed…it does stand out and was very glubable. I also want to challenge this wine to its neighbouring countries….I think a South American Merlot drink fest is on the cards. Well Done Uruguay
.

No comments: