Tuesday, April 21, 2009

2005, Spain, Catalonia, Coronas, Torres, Tempranillo

Name: Coronas, Torres
Country: Catalonia, Sprain
Grape(s): 86% Tempranillo, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon
Vintage: 2005
Colour: A beautiful intense ruby colur that reminded me of a thin port.
Smell: Yummy, was my first thought and the excitement just to taste at that point was killing me. But I waited a bit because the aromas need to have their own lime light, even if its just for a brief moment. Spiciness was the first level of aromas really elegant black pepper that made me want to sneeze. Then as we moved through the ladder of aromas you could also smell the black berries to give it that fruity sense. Geoff (glugateer member) picked up the scent of chillies. Wilma (glugateer member) seemed to find another level of aromas. She found hints of roses, earthiness and even a yeasty tinge. Interesting, I thought. Different paletes different impressions.
Taste: This was a dry, low acidity, medium bodied wine. With deep prominent flavours of blackberries – a realy fruity consistency. I expected a longer length with this 4 year old bottle but it remained short. The biographers of this wine suggest a long length but this probably applies to a much older wine.

Conclusion: A good wine.

WINDEX: 7 out of 10.


Final Comments: Old world wines have never been a priority with me but I remember trying a varietal of Torres a few years ago so I thought I would give this a whirl. Secondly this was a grape variety that I had always had that was part of a blend and not being the majority of the flavour. I thoroughly enjoyed this grape variety and I would have it again. Very nice

No comments: