Tuesday, April 21, 2009

2005, India, Chateau Indage Estate, Chantilli Chardonnay

Name: Chateau Indage Estate Vineyards, Chantilli
Country: India
Grape(s): Chardonnay, (IWSC – Bronze Award, 1995)
Vintage: 2005
Colour: a pretty golden colour.
Smell: I have to admit the first aromas didn’t speak volumes to me, but then that was me. The aromas were earthy and musky with notes of lemons and also a marginal smokiness to it as well. Wilma picked up a more medicinal scent – sort of like the smell of a band aid. I was confused – put it that way. With the aroma not being a particular favourite of mine I was hoping the taste would take this wine out of the attic.
Taste: This was a off dry, low acidic light bodied flavour. Its flavour spoke volumes of honey blossoms with a green apple hint. There again was that cough mixture tendency. The length was reasonable.

Conclusion: I struggled with rating this wine as it was the first chardonnay I had tried from India and I didn’t want this to reflect badly. I would say this was an OK wine.

WINDEX: 3 out of 10.



Final Comments: Well first impressions from India were not good. I was quite disappointed as I was so impressed with the merlot that came from the same vineyard. In some ways it reminded me of watered down of apple juice. However, it wasn’t disgusting and if you like the earthy, musky type wine flavours you may enjoy this better than I did. Again this all comes down to personal preferences, cos that is what wine drinking is all about.

No comments: