Monday, April 6, 2009

India, Maharastra - Chantilli, Merlot, 2005

Name: Chantilli – Chateaux indage
Country: Maharashta, India
Grape(s): Merlot
Vintage: 2005
Colour: reddish with with brown tinge around the edges
Smell: very clean, light, fruity scent, very pleasant. 1st hint is black current but on another 2nd level there is a ck ppery scent….very nice. Quite a friendly smell.
Taste: Off dry, low acidity, low tannin, light body and a medium length.
Conclusion: A good wine…one that could compete well with other new world wines.

WINDEX: 7 to 8 out of 10.

Final Comments: I was surprisingly impressed with this wine. I had set myself for sharp, bitter tasting urine which was going to completely unpalatable however, the complete opposite was experienced. This was a very impressive wine. I would happily serve this up at a dinner party. The initial thought of ‘indian wine’ would be a negative set of words but I am sure on smell and taste the drinker would be surprised. This was back on my wine shopping list for round 2 as I only bought one bottle…however, on returning this wine was sold out. If folk have caught on to this quiet surprise then at Dhs. 15 a bottle…it’s a hot seller. Hmm…may be I should keep this too myself. Have bought the Indian white from this same vineyard….I am looking forward to opening that bottle.


No comments: